Friday, August 1, 2008

The third night of our bedtime routine


After having the second night go so well I was anxious to see how the third night would be. There was only one problem in our plan. We went to the movies to see Space Chimps and didn't get home until 8:30. The girls were wound up so I knew I couldn't start the bedtime routine right away. I waited until 9:00 to begin. Things didn't start out too well as both girls wanted only me to read to them. We got KK to read with Daddy and then Aly decided she was jealous and wanted Daddy to read to her. So we compromised and Daddy read a story to Aly and one to KK and I read one to each of them as well. Once this drama was over Daddy was kicked out so that I could start my new routine. Lights out and the music on.


The girls were still a bit hyper and protested having to go to bed. KK said she wanted me to sleep with her and I reminded her that she was a big girl now and would be putting herself to sleep. I put the music on and sat in my chair with the lights off. KK squirmed about for awhile. She then ask me to look at the stars. I didn't respond. She was very angry that I wasn't willing to have a conversation with her so she began to throw a fit and cry. The fit lasted all of two minutes. She came out of bed, I placed her back in. She was quiet for a few minutes and then tried to talk to me about the stars again. When I didn't respond she threw another little two minute fit.


She calmed down again and then said she had to go to the bathroom. Once she finished she ran into her room and said, "o.k. Mommy I am going to go in my bed and go to sleep all by myself!" That is exactly what she did. I never hear a peep from her again and she was asleep in five minutes.


This is really working for us and I am so glad! I plan on spending at least the next week in the room sitting on the chair. One step at a time. After that I will transition them to me not being in the room at all.

No comments: