Monday, August 25, 2008

Preschool-the dreaded phone call

This morning I knew I had to get up the courage to call KK's original preschool to tell the director that we would not be returning. I didn't want to make the call as I don't like to disappoint people or have any possible confrontations but I knew I was the only one who could do it!

So I spent the night tossing and turning instead of sleeping trying to figure out how I will word our departure. Here is how it went:

Me: Hi Deanna, this is KK's mom. I wanted to let you know that we decided it would be best for KK if we switch her to a local preschool so that we can have a consistent schedule for her. This will allow for me to take her to preschool on my own without having hubby involved which will allow KK to sleep in the same time everyday.

Director: I am sorry to hear that you have decided to go somewhere else. Do you mind if I ask where?

Me: I answer her and tell her it is the local Montessori.

Director: KK's favorite things to do here was dinosaurs and farm animals. She spent an hour lining up farm animals here. Do they have farm animals at her new school?

Me: No, they don't have those type of toys, they have learning type toys and KK will be playing with those. (BTW I know she knew that)

Director: That is such a shame as that is KK's favorite thing to play with. Hopefully she won't miss that too much and will find something else she is interested in.

Me: We have dinosaurs and farm animals at home. She plays with them all the time here.

Director: Well that is good she will still get that at home. You know she still may need a nap at the new preschool. She ran herself ragged here and just plain tired herself out.

Me: I know but I am kind of thinking with the consistent morning wake up routine and her being able to sleep in later that she won't be tired. If she does need a nap they have an OPTIONAL nap time and it is only ONE hour long. I think that will work out for us.

Director: Her activity level at our center was very high. Perhaps at the Montessori she won't be as active. She may not need a nap since she will not have as much dramatic play. You know dramatic play is very important you need to make sure she is getting that if she isn't getting it from her new school.

Me: I will.

Director: Will you be bringing her in this week since you are already paid up?

Me: You know I thought long and hard about it and feel like from a child development perspective it would be better for her if I don't bring her back. I am afraid if I do that she will spend the week trying to adjust to your center and then I will be pulling her out and she will have to adjust to a new center.

Director: Well most normal children can handle change like that. In your situation with KK needing a nap and you not wanting her to have one could cause a negative experience for her. It is probably better for her not to come back.

Me: As much as I would like to be selfish and take time for myself I think we will just keep her home.

Director: Alright, well if you find your needs changing I hope you will consider us. Perhaps when KK is a little older and she doesn't need a nap anymore you might want to have her come back.

Me: Thanks, things in life always change and you never know what your needs will be. If we need you in the future I will give you a call. Thanks so much. Bye

That was what I can remember of the conversation. Even though I tried to make it about a convenience factor for our family it was still obvious to her that it was about the nap. (Although really the convenience factor was a big reason we changed, the nap thing just made us look into change) BTW this is the director that was on my interview panel for that job I interviewed for and my other daughter Aly went to this preschool for 2 years. She went on the parent participation side though and KK was going on the daycare side.

All in all I am glad it is over and I really am looking forward to KK attending a preschool so close to our home. Hopefully she will enjoy it. She doesn't start until September 8th, I guess I will be posting a first day of Montessori post that day. Does that mean I have to buy her a new first day of school outfit????

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Thanks for the comment on my post about schools. I feel honored to have the input of a teacher! I do have one question if you don't mind...How can we be sure what houses are in which school district? Is there an easy way to know, or do we just have to ask people in the area, the school, etc? I would hate to find a school we like and then rent a house in the wrong district by mistake. Thanks for your help!