Sunday, August 24, 2008

Preschool changes

Ever since Thursday's pick up from preschool I have been having a hard time feeling good about KK attending that preschool. Saturday night I started thinking about the local Montessori that is only 8 miles from our house. KK's current preschool is 18 miles away. So I started thinking, "What if I looked into that preschool? I know they are more expensive but Hubby wouldn't have to help out with driving her to school because it is close enough to our house that I could drop her off there and still make it on time to sub at Aly's school.

So I didn't end up sleeping well. This morning I decided to call my friend Jess who had her daughter at that school last year and will be sending her the next two years as well. She didn't know the prices but told me she would forward me an email. So I called my other friend Kristi who will be sending her son there. She didn't know the prices but told me that they were actually having an Open House today so we could go and check it out for ourselves and get the price list.

I asked Hubby if he wanted to go check out the preschool and he did. We all went as a family to the Montessori Open House. KK loved it. She especially liked the fish tank and the playground. Hubby liked how it was more academic than her current preschool and liked the structure that it provided. We also liked how they allow the children to serve their own snack including pouring their drinks as well as cleaning the tables and mopping the floors afterwards. They have a good ratio of 7:1 as well.

So on the drive home we talked it over. We weighed the pros and cons.
Pro's:

Closer to home, I could do all the drop off and picks ups myself. Hubby's current work schedule is back to being major overtime so this provides a relief for him.

More academic and structured.

Flexibility for my subbing. I can choose two normal days for her to attend but if I get a sub job on a different day I can trade days.

Later start time of 9:00 a.m. KK will be able to sleep in until her normal wake up time of between 7:30-7:45.

Local friends, everyone attending this school lives near us.

8 miles away versus 18. 12 minute drive versus 25 minutes.

I don't have to kill time waiting for KK to get out of preschool. (with her other preschool being 25 minutes from home I couldn't justify spending the gas to go home so I would run errands and kill time until she got out if it was a day I brought her)

The director is really nice and very flexible. The center has only been open a year so it is still small and there is room for growth. This is what allows her the ability to be so flexible. If you miss a day because your child is sick she lets you make it up too. If Monday is a holiday you can come on another day that week.

They teach them to become more independent. Something I should be doing more with both of my girls, instead I tend to do everything myself because I think it is easier.

Nap time is a choice made by the parents and if you do decide to let them nap they only nap for one hour.

Cons:

It costs $40 more dollars a month

They have less opportunity for socializing in large groups.

The preschool is 800 feet higher in elevation which means more snow. This could be challenging at some points during the winter.

They have to wear slippers indoors--is this a positive or a negative--who knows but right now she doesn't have any slippers so I will need to buy her some.

I think they aren't allowed to wear character shirts like Dora the Explorer--good thing KK is over her now..

The playground is smaller.

They start a week after Labor Day and end a week before Memorial Day.

I have to tell the Director of KK's other preschool we are leaving.

So after weighing the pro's and con's we decided it was best for the whole family if KK changes preschools to this local school. Hopefully it will be a good decision and KK will enjoy it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow talk about good timing...with the open house being today and all. I'm glad Kayla really enjoyed it, that's wonderful!! I'm also happy it worked out for all of you to go together, I'm sure it made the decision easier for you having that support too. I'm excited for you and for Kayla and I can't wait for her first day of school! And to see more pictures of course!! :) Amy

Momma to LG said...

Can't wait to hear what happens with the other lady.