Monday, August 4, 2008

Our new bedtime routine nights 4,5,6

Things are going quite well with our new routine. This will probably be the last time I talk about it. I am still shocked at how well it is going. My wise friend has told me on multiple occasions that you can change anything you want about parenting whenever you are ready to change it. You just have to make the commitment to doing it. She is so right and I always thing of this advice.

Night 4 had KK crying just two times for just two short minutes. Her crying was mostly because I would interact with her on a conversational level. She wanted me to look at the glow in the dark stars with her and talk about what we were going to do tomorrow. I stuck to the rules though and didn't respond. I knew I had to do this otherwise our bedtime routine every night would take an hour due to her wanting to talk and avoid going to sleep.

On night 5 the manipulation really began and it was apparent that I had a whole new problem to deal with. KK didn't want to go to sleep and I had made the mistake of letting her have a 45 minute nap. No more naps here I will tell you that. It took me over an hour to get her to sleep and she didn't fall asleep until 10 p.m. During the whole hour she tried everything she could think of to get out of bed. She tried asking to go to the bathroom multiple times, getting out of her bed to get a stuffed animal, asking for water, asking for a different stuffed animal from another room, etc....I only let her go to the bathroom once and I didn't get anything for her that she requested other than the water.

Night 6 still brought some forms of manipulation. However she didn't cry and she didn't keep asking to go to the bathroom. I am sure over the next week she will continue trying to get out of bed etc. but I will stay firm. I am already happier with our new routine and I look forward to a month ahead when I can leave the room while they fall asleep on their own.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You must be so proud of yourself! It's amazing what those little ones can come up with. Timmy is the same way and it is pretty cute now that I think about it! Great job Angela!!Amy :)