Thursday, October 16, 2008

Subbing Day 4--not good at all!!!!


Wow, today was not good at all. It is funny though because I was only there to sub for two hours in the afternoon and I thought, this is going to be a great day. The kids just play in the afternoon as that is what their teacher has them do each day. So all I had to do was read a story, play inside and play outside. Seems easy right?


For most classroom this would be easy, but today, Diane was having a really bad, horrible, not so good day! As you may recall from my first post about subbing, Diane can be a very difficult child. Today was no exception. As soon as I went to pick the kids up from recess Diane was already throwing a screaming, crying fit. She didn't want the bell to ring and she wasn't ready to go inside from recess. I knew it was best to acknowledge her feelings and not address the issue anymore.


She cried the entire way into the classroom and tried throwing a fit on the floor once we came inside. I let her know that if she didn't calm down she would loose choice time. This seemed to work at the moment and I began reading the class a story.


Choice time did not go well as she couldn't get a long with anyone. She literally screamed at the top of her lungs at the other children in the class. Yelling at them to stay away from her, not take her toys, yelling that they wouldn't play with her, etc, etc. At one point I gave her a choice time out. She sat on the floor screaming, kicking her arms and legs, yelling at the top of her lungs. One of the other girls in the class couldn't stand it and told her, "If you don't stop screaming I am going to cut you with a knife!" Yeah, you read that right, another kindergartner in the class threatened her with violence. We are not even an inner city school, we are a bunch of country bumpkins!


The day continued with Diane screaming at other kids anytime they got near her. I honestly don't know how these children put up with her everyday, let alone their teacher.


After days like these I still consider if it would be better for me to home school Aly the rest of the year?????? How do these children have any opportunity to learn when Diane is taking away so much time and attention from instruction?

No comments: