Thursday, October 2, 2008

Clear Cutting

A year ago the seven acre parcel across the street from us began clear cutting the entire seven acres. We were outraged! We were notified that this would happen and found out how it was possible that the county allowed for clear cutting seven acres of beautiful pines, firs, cedars, and a few oak trees. Do you know how these new owners worked the system? They claimed that they were going to change the seven acre parcel into agricultural. Down below our property was to be a horse barn and pasture and across the street from us was to be an apple orchard. They also claimed they would be building another home much larger in nature to their 2 bdrm 650 square foot house.

My husband totally called what would happen. He said to me on day one, "Watch, you wait and see, they are going to strip this land and when they are finished they will sell the property. There will never be a horse pasture or an apple orchard." I had hoped what he said would not happen.

Within a year of them stripping the seven acres of land they have put it up for sale. I find it so disappointing. I can't believe the system allows them to do this. In my opinion it should be stated in the logging agreement that before they can sell the house, all of the agricultural changes must be done.

Now we get to look out of our home at seven acres of stripped land. It was so sad to see it all go. Who knows what will happen with it now. My husbands new prediction is they will divide the seven acres up into 2 2 acre parcels and build homes on them. I actually don't mind that I just hope if that does happen the new owners plant some trees!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm I wonder what would happen if someone "accidentally" tossed some seedlings onto their property? Oh look, new trees how about that!

I thought the whole point of moving to that area was for the trees??

Busymama Kellie said...

That is so sad. It must be depressing to have to look at that bare lot everyday. And 7 acres? That is huge!