Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Pondering the past

Yes, I admit it, I am one of those sad women in their thirties addicted to Reality TV Shows. What's worse is that one of my favorite shows is The Hills. Yes, I know, this show is targeted for late teens/early twenties. I just can't help it, I love the drama, I love analyzing all of their mistakes, and wondering how many times I made those same mistakes myself.

It got me thinking back to the dread full days of dating in my twenties. I definitely made my share of mistakes starting off with my first boyfriend of two years, Matt. I don't know what I was thinking there but I was pretty much in the same situation as Audrina from The Hills. Yes, Matt was too young for a committed relationship and as much as I wanted it, it never happened. All of my friends told me to run the other way but I never listened. They had intelligent, watchful eyes while I had my blinders on. After two years I did finally break it off and it was the best decision I ever made.

Another dating blunder that came to mind happened in my mid twenties. I met an Irish boy through some friends at a bar. Yes, I would say that was probably my first problem, meeting a guy at a bar. Well, it was an Irish bar, but hey that is still not the best place to find someone to date if you are looking for someone who is relationship material. Anyway, this boy, Michael, asked me out and we went to dinner and another Irish bar. He brought me home and gave me a nice long kiss at the door. Since I was a "Good Girl" I didn't even consider inviting him in. I went to bed that night thinking the date went well and was quite sure I would hear from him again. After all, he kissed me right? Why wouldn't he call if he kissed me?

Yes, I was a naive little girl. Even though my Mom warned me on numerous occasions all about what boys want, I think I actually couldn't believe that was the case. No, Michael never called me again and I sat around with all of my girlfriends pondering why, what did I do wrong, and why would he kiss me if he didn't want to see me again.

Do you know when I finally figured it out? O.k. it wasn't even on my own. I told my husband this story a year or two ago and he made it all crystal clear. He said, the guy kissed you hoping to get invited inside where he would get to "spend the night" and have his needs met! What? Are you kidding me? Are you serious? Boys are like that? Wow, that explains so much! I can't believe it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

smart husband,I'm glad for your lost. Even though you were sad about it.