Saturday, October 4, 2008

Paper Mache Pumpkin

This morning ended up being the day that we decorated our house for Halloween. It was actually quite nice. Aly was super excited to decorate so it motivated her to clean up her art table in the living room while I mopped the kitchen floor. Once the cleaning was done I simply got the box of Halloween decorations and opened the lid. Aly and KK did the rest! They took everything out of the box, hung it up, or found a place for it. It was great! Now only if I can get them to pack it away next month, hee, hee.


Recently while I was over at Annette's house I got a chance to see a paper mache pumpkin pail her husband made when he was in kindergarten. I thought is was the cutest thing. I was determined that we would do the same thing.


Of course I didn't know what I was getting myself into. I have never done paper mache in all my life. So I didn't know how messy it was, and I didn't know how sticky and icky it felt. (Yes, I think I have sensory issues just like my darling KK)


I decided to begin doing the paper mache project with only Aly this afternoon. I knew KK would not even consider touching the paste paper pieces. I researched on the Internet and found an Elmer's glue/water paste recipe that I decided to follow. I felt like this recipe would probably hold up better.


I cut out all the strips, made the paste and had Aly help me begin. Dang it was messy and gross and icky to touch. After a short while Aly changed from putting the paper pieces on the balloon to soaking them in the paste. A short while after that she decided to wash up and go play.


I had read on the Internet if I wanted a flat bottom that I should push down on it after I have all my desired paper pieces on. This ended up being a big mistake and it pushed all the pieces and made them a big crinkly mess. So I had to try and smooth them out and add more to make a smoother texture.


Once I finished with the balloon I didn't even want to attempt a second balloon. My plan for now is to see if it even turns out at all. Perhaps I made more mistakes I didn't realize. Once it is done I may make a second. We will see. In the meantime, here is my pumpkin paper mache hanging up waiting to dry!

No comments: