Sunday, May 11, 2008

A letter to KK


Dear little KK,

From the moment I found out I was pregnant with you I was thrilled. We had been trying for five months and were starting to feel like we might have a problem having another child. Just when it seemed like it might not happen, we found out I was pregnant. What was even more amazing was we found out you would be a June baby just like your sister.

During my entire pregnancy I kept asking my friends, "How can I love my second child the way that I love my first? Is there room in my heart for this kind of love with more than one child?" Many answered that they had felt the same way but were amazed at how much they loved each child there after and how the love the felt for each child was just as intense.

When we found out we were having another girl we were surprised. I was happy for both you and Aly because I was thrilled you would be sisters. I never had a sister and always wished that I could have had that sister bond that so many of my friends had with their sisters.

Your name was an easy one to pick. I had wanted to name my little girl your name since I was 16 years old. It was just convincing Daddy that took time!

When you were born I was so happy. I was surprised when you were born weighing in at an even seven pounds and 19 inches long. I had my tiny little petite girl who turned out to look a lot like me and my side of the family. You reminded me so much of my father who had only passed away three months before you were born. I felt like he was apart of you and that every time I look at you I see a piece of him. You totally have his lips and lower part of his face. I love your lips so much and I know that you will find them to be one of your favorite features when you grow up.

That first day that you were born I was so amazed at the love I felt for you. I was amazed that I could have that intense feeling of love that I had for your sister and also have it for you. In those first few days I learned to love your quiet nature, your beautiful little face, and your mild manner. I was so thrilled to have the next four days in the hospital to have alone time to bond with you.

Bringing you home was a joy. Aly adjusted to you and learned to be quite the little helper. You were an easy baby except for your sleeping habits, which to this day are still interrupted. You will probably turn out to be the girl that can pull all nighters for exams and still function off of very little sleep.

Do you know what amazed me about your development. You were so active and things came so easy for you. Learning how to roll over, hold yourself up, crawl, etc. Your temperment was persistent and you just kept trying things over and over and over again until you finally got it. I loved this about you. I loved that you never gave up and you never seemed mad or frustrated in the process.

At a year old you began trying to walk. You wanted to keep up with your older sister and do all of the things that she could do. I loved this period of time for you and I was so proud at how you just kept trying and trying until you got it right.

Early on you had this quality of projecting happiness to all of those around you. You had a constant smile on your face and the world around you just seemed to amaze you and lite you up. I loved how happy you always were and it always brought a smile to my face.

When you started talking I really began to learn more about you and your personality. It was fun to see what you would want and what you needed. It was fun to see you stand up to your sister for what you felt was yours. I admired your ability to stand up to others even though that were twice your size. You already showed me that you will grow up to be a strong woman.

By the age of 2 1/2 you already knew all of your letters and sounds. You could even count to ten in Spanish. I was so proud of you for how smart you were and how much you too loved to learn. I can tell already at such an early age that you have an amazing memory and learning will come easy to you. I look forward to watching your schooling years and the woman you will become.

You remind me so much of me in so many ways and you have helped me to learn more about myself. I never knew that I didn't like my hands to be dirty or sticky until I watched you get upset over it. It was then that I noticed I didn't like it either. I believe we also share our strength and tenacity. I love you for this.

KK I look forward to seeing my little girl grow and develop and I love you more than words can ever express.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a beautiful letter. It sure is going to be special for Kayla to read someday! It's so well written and I could really feel your love for her. Truly special! Amy

bloggerrifc said...

Awh, Angela, this one made me tear up because I have been feeling the same way about having another little one. Glad to hear that a very special relationship is bound to develop as well. Your daughters are simply beautiful, and KK does look so much like you.