Sunday, May 11, 2008

A letter to Aly


To my beautiful daughter Aly,

Words cannot express how much you mean to me. From the day I found out I was pregnant, to the day I found out you were a girl, to the day of your birth I just fell more and more in love with you. I was amazed when you were born the intense feeling of love I had for you. I had never felt a love like this before and I felt so happy to have such a beautiful little girl in my arms.

You were so fun to watch develop. I remember each stage of development eagerly awaiting your mastery of it. I also remember thinking each stage was my favorite, from you first smile, to discovering your hands, to learning to roll over, etc.

You had a command on language at such a young age. By 8 months old you were already shouting dog commands such as sit, stay, come. At 12 months of age you loved to be read to which I believe is what helped you to talk at such an early age. By 18 months old you were already talking in sentences.

Things seemed to progress rather quickly from there. Your sister was born and while it was quite an adjustment for you it helped you grow into an independent little girl. I remember how you looked at her when she was first born, not knowing what to think, only to soon discover that she is your best friend and that you love her more than you ever knew you could.

By the time you were three you were already taking an interest in learning to write and read. You had learned all of your letters and sounds before you turned three and you began writing your alphabet shortly there after. I remember you would sit at the table for hours at a time tracing letters and showing me how well you were doing. I was so proud of your natural interest in learning and so proud of your ability at such a young age to sit for long periods of time to do a project or activity.

By the time you were three and a half you began learning to read 3 letter words such as cat, dog, rat, etc. It amazed me how fast you learned and how much you personally wanted to learn everything around you that you possibly could. I was so proud of you and let everyone around me know of your progress.

Do you know what amazing skill you developed at the age of four? It was then that we began to recognize your amazing talent for drawing. You can check through my blog and look at many of the posts that I made displaying your art. You amazed me everyday at how well you were drawing and what your imagination brought you to draw next. I also really loved to watch your drawing sessions with Daddy. I loved seeing how you would learn to draw things he drew by watching him draw. You know what I loved the most? When you would draw pictures for me and write Mom on them. The best part was when you would bring them to me beaming with pride at how well you had done.

I love every part of you for who you are. I love that you enjoy being you and that you explore things in life that interest you. I love your smile, your beautiful brown eyes, and your happiness for life. I love your caring nature and your desire to teach others new things as well. I love that even with all your talents and skills you are humble and proud of being who you are.

I love you with all of my heart Aly, and I always will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yet again, another beautiful, touching letter. They are both completely different and I think both girls will see that your love for the both of them is completely equal. Your such a great Mom Angela! Love,
Amy