Thursday, July 12, 2007

BEETLES, BEETLES, and more BEETLES

Oh my goodness! Well, we have been needing crickets for our frogs and these past few days have been very busy. Needless to say, neither hubby nor I got a chance to get them. So hubby says, "Why don't we just go outside and catch some beatles for them." I am thinking to myself---sure, have a great time! Now, hubby said he would get them but I thought, well, since he will be playing volleyball tonight, maybe I should just take the kids out and see if I can catch a few myself.

This really excited Aly. She grabbed her bug box and was all ready to go. So she tells me all the ways we can catch beatles. "Mommy we can look under rocks, and logs, and bark. That's where Daddy finds them." So I say o.k. let's start with the rocks. I turn over a few rocks and finally find one with a beatle under it. Right then I am thinking, o.k., now what? I don't want to touch those beatles. Now Aly is very into nature so I am thinking, maybe she might want to catch them. So I ask her. She says, "No Mommy I will hold the bug box, you can catch them." So I find a plastic bag on the ground and decide to use that. Of course by this time the beatle is gone so I lift up some more rocks to see if I can find more. I find another one and use the plastic bag to get him. Now, I must look pretty funny chasing a beatle with a plastic bag but I was already getting the chills even trying to catch him with a bag.

This method of catching beatles doesn't seam to be working very well. The beatles are too fast and the plastic bag makes it hard to catch them. So I am complaining to Aly and she says, "Mommy, why don't you just use tweezers like Daddy does?" Tweezers, what a good idea. Man why didn't I ask her earlier. So I run in the house, get the tweezers and catch 4 more beatles rather quickly. You can learn so much from a four year old, can't you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the beatle story!!! I was thinking to myself are you crazy? I would NEVER touch one of those things! I cannot stand beatles...but I am a huge wimp when it comes to any bugs. I think it's funny Ed doesn't bother touching them either. :-) What a great idea and it's so funny that Alyssa finally brought it up! Hope your day goes well today!

Silicon Valley Moms Group said...

Yeah! I am so happy that you are blogging. Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you but I haven't adjusted to being back home yet.