Monday, July 21, 2008

Substitute Teaching

Today I had my orientation for substitute teaching. I thought the meeting would go over ways to be prepared for a classroom where the teacher did not leave out any lesson plans. However, it was a training all about using the sub finder system and the new web connect system. I am happy to see the web connect system in place. Now I can go online and search available jobs and click on the ones I want to take.

I received my picture badge and welcome packet. I think I am going to change my lanyard to a Disneyland one and I think I will start collecting Disney pins to put on the lanyard. Seems like a fun way to bring out my personality a bit and I bet the kids would love to look at the pins.

I have myself all set up in the system now. It is all official! Even though school starts on August 13th I probably won't get my first sub job until September sometime. Which is fine as I have to figure out what I will be doing with Aly from 1:50 until 3:00 when the rest of the school gets out. She is on a modified full day kindergarten program. Since there is no on site child care I have to find somewhere for her to go during that time. If I am subbing kindergarten it won't be a problem but any other grade will. So for now I will sub half days, kindergarten, and maybe the junior high until I get it all worked out. Do you know this has been keeping me up at night? I am such a planner and it is so hard when I don't have it all worked out now!

I got another bonus finding out that due to our school being located way out in the middle of nowhere they pay more than the other districts. Our district pays $125 a day instead of $100 even. I am thrilled! Before I was going to be paying $40 a day for daycare for KK, and assuming they take 25% taxes out it would have meant I would only make $35 after daycare fees. Now I feel like I will actually be bringing some extra money home! My plan is to send it to pay off our car payment earlier!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of collecting the disney pins! I sure wish we were able to help you out with Alyssa! That would be so fun for Taylor too. I know everything will fall into place for you and the perfect person will want to help you out. I will keep my fingers crossed for you! :-) Amy

Kelly said...

I'm a teacher too, but I decided to stop for a while to stay at home with my kids. To make ends meet I'll be subbing 1-2 days a week, and it's keeping me up at night too! I think it's the feeling of the unknown! I'll be praying for your transition!
(Thanks for commenting on my blog!)