Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Letter from kindergarten


We received a letter in the mail yesterday informing us of their upcoming assessment day, and Early Screening Inventory Parent Questionnaire, and the classroom supplies they will be needing.


I am sure many of you are wondering why they are doing an assessment. Typically this is just so they can balance out their classrooms. Having the opportunity to observe children and see their skills can help them have classrooms with children of varying levels and temperaments. Schools that decide not to do this can have teachers that have rough years. For example, by luck of the draw a teacher can have a class filled with children that have difficulty listening and following directions. Or they may have a class with students who have never been introduced to colors, numbers, shapes, alphabet, etc. It is always nice to have a balance of skill level in your class so that other students can have role models.


The parental questionnaire is four pages and covers topics such as parents highest level of education, child's vision, hearing, coordination, health, temperament, favorite activities, and how much time they watch TV. They also leave a space large enough to write things you would like to tell about your child--I am so happy about that! Hee, hee....


Just for those of you that are curious I thought I would post their supply list:


Each child needs to bring:

(must haves)


Backpack with their name

1 complete change of clothes (in a bag kept in their backpack)


1 pair of Scissors (fiskars preferred)


2 boxes of Crayola Washable Markers (10-classic)


3 Large Glue Sticks


1 box of hand wipes


1 box each : Large and small Zip-lock bags with slide close


Homework Folder:

1 Flat plastic folder with 3 prongs and pockets inside

1 3 hole clear zipper pencil pouch


Extra Items for the Class:

(Bring if you can throughout the year )


Scotch tape refill roll


soft kleenex


brown lunch sacks


paper grocery store bags


cotton balls/q tips


play dough


extra snacks for kids that forget:

Pretzels, grahams, Gold Fish


Small Dixie cup


That is both lists. I am sure with budget cuts teachers need all the help they can get! If we don't provide it they will probably be using their own paycheck to buy it. So I will wait to the school supplies go on sale and happily full fill the list. If prices are good enough I will try to buy extra for those students in a financial situation where they cannot afford to buy all of these items on their own.


My how things have changes since I was in school! I am looking forward to going shopping with Aly for some of these supplies. I think it will help build the excitement for her. If you here of a sale of school supplies let me know!

1 comment:

Momma to LG said...

So cute! The school I taught at supplied everything for the kids and we didn't have desk. Each child shared a table with 3 other students. so different to have to supply all these things.

You know what? I want to send some stuff! Email me so I can ship it off to you.