Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A new bedtime routine


Wow, I can't believe I am writing this post and I can't believe I am actually taking the plunge to change what is no longer working for us in our bedtime routine. For some background information we co-bedded with both of our girls until just over a year ago. We made that transition by laying with them until they fell asleep and bringing them back to their own beds every time they woke up.


So for the past year we have been laying with them while they fall asleep and lately it has not been working for us at all. Why you may ask? For many reasons, first it requires two of us to put the girls to sleep, second it is taking way too long. We start the bedtime routine around 8:30 and by the time it is lights out it can take over an hour for them to fall asleep! Mostly it is KK staying awake so long and it is such a pain too because she is constantly lying on your right side, then your left side, then on top of you, then squishing down the covers between your legs. It is down right frustrating!!!!


For the past month or so I have really been wanting to make this change but haven't been quite sure how to go about it. I did know that recently my friend Cathy whom also co-bedded and had a similar situation was able to put the hard work and dedication into getting both of her girls to put themselves to sleep at night. So I knew who the perfect person to ask for advice would be. Here is what she suggested:


Prepare them ahead of time for the transition and let them know they are big girls now and that tonight they will be laying by themselves and putting themselves to sleep. Talk it up and make it a positive experience!


Make a CD with sleepy time songs. (I spent all day doing this and I targeting specific songs from Disney that are on many of their lullaby cd's. I played the CD in the playroom a few times today and told them that will be there new bedtime music)


Once the bedtime routine is complete give them kisses, tuck them in and sit in a chair with the lights off in the middle of the room. The first time they get out of bed put them back into bed and tell them they are big girls now and they will be putting themselves to sleep! After the first time each time they get out of bed simply put them back in, tuck them in and don't say anything. Keep doing this all night until they fall asleep on their own.


I have to admit I am scared, nervous, and dreading this whole process. I know Aly will do just fine. She is 5 years old and has had many periods of time where she has put herself to sleep. I am scared to death of how KK will react because she is young and I am not sure she will quite understand what is going on. I know this will be extremely hard for her and it will hurt my heart to see her so sad and so confused. I also anticipate that the second I put her in bed she will keep getting out and grab onto me so tight that I will have to pry her off.


I wish that this process will take me by surprise and be as easy as giving up the pacifier was or as easy as giving up breast feeding was. I was so scared of both of those processes and it did go much more smoothly than I thought. I think this time will be different though.


Wish me luck! I promise to report tomorrow on how tough the process was for all of us!

2 comments:

Busymama Kellie said...

Oh, good luck with the bedtime change! We went through this with our kids and they now sleep well in their own beds though they still come stumbling into our room in the middle of the night every now and then. And I must admit that we often snatch them from their beds to sleep with us. They're only babies once and won't want to snuggle with us for long!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I can't wait to hear how it goes. I hope it caught you by surprise and things went great! I know how hard it must have been for you. Hopefully in time you will be able to get caught up on your sleep too! Amy :)