Saturday, February 2, 2008

Round Table Pizzas Big Vinnie Pizza...not so good

Tonight hubby and I were supposed to go out to dinner and leave the girls with a babysitter. However, hubby was sick. This dissapointed Aly so I told her I would take her out for pizza instead. All day little KK kept asking to go bye, bye so I asked Aly if she wouldn't mind if KK came too. She said, "Oh mommy, that would be a great idea. I would just love my sister to come."

I decided to call ahead to have the pizza ready for when we arrived. Much better than sitting around trying to entertain a 2 and 4 year old for a half hour while we wait. Apon our arrival the pizza was ready. I ordered the Big Vinnie as it was on sale for $12.99. An extra large peperoni for that price sounded good to me.

When we ate our pizza I was in shock. Either they made a mistake or I don't like New York style pizza. I ordered it with half garlic sauce and half red sauce. There was no sauce on the whole pizza, or at least I couldn't taste any. So I asked the lady if they made a mistake and didn't put sauce on it. She looked at it and said they must have made a mistake and she would make me a new one. I few minutes later another worker came out to tell me that a New York style pizza has lite sauce and that is the way it was made. She said she would go ahead and make me another one since the coupon doesn't state that it is lite on the sauce. This time they were supposed to add extra sauce.

I brought the pizza home to hubby and to my dissapointment it still didn't have any sauce or at least we couldn't find any. So I ask you, is that really how they make New York Style pizza's? Or are they just trying to cut back on their products to yield a higher profit margin? If you are familiar with New York pizza please comment and let me know!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree! This pizza was horrible! I just sent it back to our Redding Round Table. 3 inches of crust before you get to the pepperoni. Almost no sauce! Manager explained that this is a true new yourk pizza. Huh? Best to explain that to this redneck from Redding, CA when I order next time!

Anonymous said...

The Big Vinnie you got was made New York Style. Those from the Northeast and who visit NY often enough are accustomed to the taste while the rest of america is used to the traditional sauce-heavy pizza. Here's an explanation of NY Style pizza from wikipedia:

New York-style pizza is a common style of pizza, originating from the New York City area and perhaps the American style pizza most closely resembling the style characteristic of Naples. New York style is identified by its wide, thin, and foldable slices. The traditional toppings are tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese, and any additional toppings are placed with the cheese. It is traditionally hand-tossed and light on sauce. The slices are often eaten folded in half, as its size and flexibility sometimes makes it unwieldy to eat flat.

Anonymous said...

I just got a Big Vinnie and both of our kids and my wife thought it was good. We had one slice left so it fed all of us. In fact we just ordered another, a great bargain at $12.99

Anonymous said...

The Big Vinnie is not even close to actual NYC street pizza. That being said I really like it because of the light sauce and large crust and it is probably as close as you are going to get from a large chain. The limited toppings is also more authentic then the sauce heavy salads on cardboard that most pizza joint's west of the Hudson serve