Sunday, February 24, 2008

The pilot episode of Super Nanny


I swear, last night at the dinner table looked just like an episode from Super Nanny. In fact it was so entertaining it could have been there pilot!
I have no one to blame but myself. Really! It is completely my fault. Last summer because I didn't want the children to eat late, I began letting them eat alone at their picnic table around 5 p.m. each night. This also meant that the main dinner was not prepared so I prepared them their own meal each night. Of course these meals were completely kid friendly and completely what they would want to eat.
We don't always see our mistakes while we are making them. Many times we see them after we are deep into the problem. Recently I have began re-implementing family dinners at the table and let's just say, neither of my children are happy about it.
Before dinner is even on the table Aly is crying, "I don't want to eat the rice mommy! I don't like it! Do I have to eat the rice mommy? I don't like the broccoli mommy. Do I have to eat it? I don't want dinner. WAA, WAA, WAA."
At this point we send her to a time out. Once we all gather at the table she is still trying to continue with arguing over what she has to eat for dinner. Our rule is you have to at least take one bite.
Next we place KK in her seat to eat dinner. She immediately starts crying, "I don't want dinner mommy, I don't want to eat it!" She gets down from her chair and starts climbing all over hubby and I. We won't stand for this so she continues screaming.
At this point both of them are either crying or whinning. It is intolerable but we know we must just barrel through it if we are going to make any headway. We know it may take two weeks but in time they will change as long as we are strong!
I will say though it made me want Super Nanny come to my house. However, I would prefer a different format. I think this is perfect--give hubby and I a two week vacation get away to Hawaii while Supper Nanny stays home with my girls and trains them. Yeah, she can fix the problems right? All the while I am sipping pina colada's by the beach, working on my tan. Then when the two weeks are up I get to come home to yet another vacation. My kids behave. HEE, HEE!
O.k. I know I must do the work, but a girl can dream can't she? BTW the picture is just a joke, of course I don't believe it!

2 comments:

Silicon Valley Moms Group said...

We have dealt with this, sort of. We know put the food out and Ashley eats what she eats. If it isn't enough, she doesn't get dessert or anything after. Last night she had a handful of blueberries and 5 bites of applesauce.

Anonymous said...

How frustrating! Are you guys making any headway? If Taylor and Timmy don't eat their dinner, that's it for the night. Unfortunately for them, they don't even care. They have been doing a little bit better though in the eating department just because of less snacking I think.
Amy :-)