Friday, February 1, 2008

Myspace, so why do it?

I am sure many people that do not do myspace think of it as a way to meet people up for a relationship or what not. Or a way for child predators to find unsuspecting teenagers. While I am sure this happens there are ways to safe guard against it. Set your profile to private.

I joined myspace a year ago I think. Originally I just joined because a few of my friends were on there and I thought it would be fun. I soon discovered though that it had a whole lot more to offer. I have already found three of my old HS friends that I have not been in contact with since HS. I was soo excited. I have even found friends from ten or more years ago. It is reallly nice to find old friends and catch up. I also was lucky enough to find a friend that I had not seen or talked to since I was 12 years old. So what was that like 22 years ago. Amazing! I have enjoyed that the most from myspace.

It has also gave me the opportunity to find old students that I used to teach. Many of these students that I had in second or third grade are now sophmores and juniors in HS. It has been fun to see what has happened to them and where they hope to go after HS. It has also been an eye opener to the teenage community and has let me see exactly what teenagers are up to in this day and age.

For those of you contemplating myspace I say go for it. Set your profile to private and find those friends that you lost touch with. I think you will really enjoy it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Angela,
I am in complete agreement with you about myspace. I think anyone contemplating it should just go for it. I was hesitant for a long while because I thought it was some kind of dating sight (it probably is for some) but for me, it's a way to keep in touch with so many people in different parts of the country and even the world and I think it's great. And if there were no myspace, we may have gone the rest of our lives without meeting up again. And for that, I am forever grateful to myspace because I'm so glad to have you back in my life.