Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Reading Game

Just shortly before Alyssa turned 3 she knew all of her letters and sounds. Since then she has began reading three letter words. Well, I have been totally slacking as a mom and haven't been doing any type of reading activities with her. So, today I made a reading game. I wrote 3 letter words out on flash cards. I told her we were going to play a game. For every card she read correctly she got to keep it. If she couldn't read it, I got to keep it! We started out with 9 cards and she read them all! So she asked me to make 3 more and I did. She read those as well. I am so proud of her. When Daddy gets home she is going to play the reading game with him!!!

When Daddy got home she asked me to make more cards so I made 3 more. She played with him and got them all right! At times we do have to help her with the difference between lowercase b and d but once we tell her that she reads the rest of the word on her own!

I am hoping this game will help her learn to read sight words eventually and we can even start working on blending. I am so excited to see her progress. I am glad she is such a motivated learner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think inspiration against a good challenge is the key to achievement. Ally is inspired to read, since there is a positive reward for achievement. Not a prize, but the pride of keeping all the cards. It's not a drill that she "has to do", which she then won't want to do, but instead she is suitably fired-up to make the effort for the reward of accomplishment.

I think there is no limit to what she can learn and achieve, given an inspiring and encouraging environment.