Monday, December 3, 2007

Carpool Day1---not so good......

One of Aly's preschool friends lives within a mile of our house. We have talked on occasion about carpooling to save on gas and time. Well this morning Grace's mom called and asked if I wouldn't mind giving Grace a ride to school and home. Of course I was glad to do it. Grace is one of those little girls that is so well behaved and you just know she will be a complete delight in your company.
The drive down was great. The girls chatted a bit and had fun. After school I had to run two quick errands. The girls were thirsty so I bought them some juice boxes to drink in the car. I decided to take a short cut home which is a bit more of a curvy road than the normal way. Not knowing what Grace's stomach could handle I purposely went slower. About 3 miles from home Grace said, my mouth hurts I can't talk. Before I could find a turnout she was throwing up all over in my car. Poor little girl was so sick, cold, and wet from all of the throw up. She had me take her saturated dress off. Since I had no towels in the car I had to use hubby's work jacket and Aly's jacket to try and soak up all of the vomit. I didn't get it all but I did the best I could.
At this point I had vomit on me, all of the car seat, the floor of the car, and some on the seat. I brought Grace to the door carrying her lovingly as if she was my own daughter. She was sad and cold and you could tell she just wanted the love and comfort of her mom. I felt so bad handing Grace over to her mom all drenched in vomit and shaking from the cold. Her mom quickly took her to get her cleaned up and apologized for the mess she had made in my car.
I wasn't sure if it was due to my driving so I was totally feeling bad all afternoon. I didn't want her mom to think I was some crazy driver or anything and I certainly didn't want to be the cause of Grace getting sick.
It turned out she had some kind of flu bug with a really high fever. She was over it by the next day though. Hopefully she will not associate getting sick with driving in my car. Poor thing.
I spent the afternoon cleaning out the car, using the shop vac, the steam cleaner, and fabreeze. I seemed to get all of it out of the car. The seat belt was a challenge as that was saturated. I ran the steam cleaner over it dozens of times and sprayed so much fabreeze it finally took it away. The car seat cover was another story. I wasn't able to get it out until I bought downy with fabreeze and soaked it for a couple of hours.
Hopefully it will be a long time before we have to experience that again!

No comments: