Saturday, April 4, 2009

Super Fit!

OMG'd, I just had the most horrific experience at Safeway. This morning KK had a trial dance class to see if she would behave enough to be able to be in dance class. Dance class was at 11:15 and got over right at 12:15. As soon as class was over I knew I was in trouble. I told her we needed to go to Safeway on the way home. She didn't want to and started crying, "I just want to go home!" Since I make the rules and am not going to let her dictate my life I proceeded to Safeway. As soon as I got her out of the car she started screaming. This should have warned me things would only get worse!

I made my way over to the shopping carts and told her she would sit in the seat. She screamed not wanting to go in the cart. I actually had to manhandle her just to get her in the seat. Which meant I had to put the seat belt on her as well. This sent her over the edge so she became screaming at the top of her lungs and crying. Now I only needed to get two things, wine for hubby and bread for me. So I figured I would just rush and get these two items.

I swear it all felt like slow motion. People were staring at us the entire time. I knew we looked like a family that belonged on Super Nanny. At this point KK began hitting me while screaming she didn't want to be in the store. I quickly grabbed the wine. As we passed the donuts she began screaming for a donut. Well I am sure you can guess my answer on that one! No way am I going to reward her with a treat. Let me just say, if I thought her fit was bad then, it only got worse. I got my bread and had to actually move to the front of the cart and pull it. KK wouldn't stop hitting me so I had to move so she couldn't reach me. I had no idea of what else to do so I figured if I just got out of her way, then I could tolerate listening to her screaming!

We got in line and everyone is staring. I am apologizing profusely and fortunate for me many of the people surrounding me had children and understood what I was going through. There were a few others though just giving me those looks of disgust. Like I am a horrible parent that has no control over her child. The gentleman behind us made a joke and said to KK, "It sure is difficult raising parents now days!" I stood my ground and didn't give in to KK or give her any attention for her fit.

The worst part came when we got to the car. She didn't want to leave because she wanted a donut. To think she would actually think that I would go back into the store and buy her a donut! She sure has a lot to learn! So I proceeded to force her into her car seat. I had to physically hold her down with one hand as I put her seat belt on with the other. After buckling her in I drove but two inches before she had gotten her seat belt off. I strapped her back in and drove about half a block and she had her seat belt off again. This time I had to do some more serious so I spanked her!

We managed to get home without her taking her seat belt off again. She still had her fit for about another ten minutes. I sure hope this experience will teach her how to behave! I know it taught me to make sure she has a full belly before dance and gets plenty of sleep. As for what I could have done differently, I welcome any ideas! Feel free to comment if you have some behavioral alternatives.

1 comment:

Momma to LG said...

The same thing happened to us the other day at gymnastics. EXACTLY the same....the hitting, screaming, etc. I was mortified. The next day is when we had to go to the ER for the constipation so I am blaming it on that just so I have something to blame.

It sucks none the less!