Saturday, April 25, 2009

My next steps

My next two bills that I will be working on lowering is our car loan and our cell phone bills. I have been checking on car loan refinancing for the last few months and am finally seeing significantly lower rates. Our current rate is for 6.4% and I am hoping to get a rate for 5.15%..that is the rate they are advertising at the moment anyway.

Our cellphone bill I have began to work on. For some reason they had me in a contract with a remaining year term. I know why. They told me that a year ago when I tried to get cellphone reception at my home and tried out their service through the internet that it locked me into a 2 year contract. Well after 8 days we decided it wasn't working good enough for us so we returned everything. This was supposed to take care of our contract and put us back to not being in a contract. That didn't happen. So they are currently researching it and I will be working on changing to a prepaid plan.

If my calculations are right we should be able to get away with spending around $100 a year on minutes for each of our phones. That will be a $200 bill a year. We are currently paying $55 a month which works out to $660 a year. So that will be a savings of $460. So see already just modifying two bills would save us $1160.00 a year! I wonder how much I might be able to save on the car loan if the refinancing goes through?

After I accomplish those bills I will have to dig and see if there is anything else we can do. I know I can put effort back into our grocery bill and get that lower. I would love to find a way to use less electricity to lower that bill...that will be a lot of work figuring that one out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unplug what you don't use at night as electrity sti;; runs through these cords. coffee pot ,toaster,etc. I ffound battery operated candles at targets. there pretty good for black outs.
mom