Saturday, April 25, 2009

Lowering our bills!

We did it! We got rid of our cable bill a week ago. I will be saving $45 a month which works out to $500.00 a year! You know what is even better? We are all watching less TV and now the only thing the children watch is PBS or DVD's we have. This means that all of their TV choices are good ones with the exception of PBS they are commercial free. Lord knows the commercials are very influential on children so I am so happy to be rid of those! They are also watching far less TV which is a good thing! Although I will have to admit now that they are playing more the upstairs playroom and their bedroom is a constant mess!

I am sure you are wondering how we did this and what we are doing for television now. Well we have a Sony PS3 which is a gaming system that you hook up to your TV. The cool thing about the PS3 is that it also lets you go on the internet, right there on your television. So before we decided to get rid of cable TV we looked up all of our shows that we watch to see if they were on the internet on their network sites and they all were! So now if we miss them on live TV we can download them onto our TV. Since we don't get channels like MTV, BRAVO, LIFETIME, etc., those programs we will always have to download to watch.

For me the only time I watch TV is pretty much on my treadmill. So I have a 17 inch laptop that I use to watch all of my shows. The cool thing is my treadmill has built in speakers to it so all I had to do was go to Radio Shack and buy a cord to reach my laptop. The only network I have found to be a bit difficult to watch while running on the treadmill is MTV. For some reason it kept having problems. So I can watch MTV when I am not running and can fix the problems easily.

I am also thankful that hubby was on board! Many of my friends say their hubbies would have never agreed to give up TV! The funny thing is now we are getting local politics channels and we still get two CSPAN channels. So hubby is content. He gets most of his news from the internet anyway. It has been nice to watch local political meetings too for both of us!

No comments: