Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Chore Chart

About a month ago I decided to make a chore chart for the girls. Everyone in the house had been driving me crazy with leaving clutter around. I was really getting frustrated with the amount of clean up I would have to do on a daily basis. The girls would also play mind games with me over cleaning up and would constantly fight with me over this responsibility. This drove me to creating a chore chart. I also wanted the chore chart to start teaching the girls about financial responsibility. The chore chart has been set up so that they can earn money for doing their chores. Now when we go somewhere if they want to buy something they will use their own money that they earned.









I decided to break each chore down and assign a certain amount of money to each chore. I assigned things that were most important to me a higher value and things that they already do pretty well without arguing a lower value. I also told them that they would only earn money for each day they did that chore and if they didn't do the chore they wouldn't earn money for that chore for that day. The total amount of money that Aly could earn if she did every single chore everyday is $5.50. The total amount KK can earn is $3.50. I set the chart up for Sunday through Saturday with every Sunday being there payday. Here is the amount they earn for each chore:

Aly (this is the daily amount)

Clean Bedroom: .15
Clean playroom: .20
Clean Kitchen Table: .20
Put clothes in hamper: .10
Brush teeth morning: .05
Brush teeth evening: .05
Doing math or reading: .05

The most I think Aly has earned in a week so far was around $4.00.

Here is KK's amounts:

Clean Bedroom: .10
Clean playroom: .15
Clean Kitchen Table: .05
Put clothes in hamper: .10
Brush teeth morning: .05
Brush teeth evening: .05

The most I think KK has earned has been $2.00.

Each week I draw a line on where the week ended. The girls color their squares in themselves. I am finding this chart to be very effective and the girls are not arguing with me any more over cleaning. However, I have learned that they still need constant reminders such as, "Please go clean the playroom and then you can color in a square on the chart!"

The girls love the chart and payday too! Aly has $26 saved up and KK has around $17. Some of this money they already had but at least they are learning to save and learning to spend their money on things that are important to them.

BTW I cam up with the total amount for each child based on their age. They say $1 a week for each year old you are. Since they are 3 1/2 and 5 1/2 I developed the chart to reflect their current ages.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your idea! I hope I can do something similar to it! Thanks for posting all the info. I can guarantee I'm going to try it. I just hope I'm as successful at it as you are!! Amy :)