Saturday, January 3, 2009

Oil change


Four years ago when Walmart came to town I began using them for oil changes. At the time they charged $18.95 to change your oil. Within two years they raised it to $22.95. Now they are charging an unbelievable $30.00 for an oil change. What is even more comical is that they are charging $44.00 for a high mileage oil change which is any vehicle with more than 75,000 miles on it. Well, they have certainly chased me away from using their services anymore. I have actually switched to the car dealers. Funny too because I thought I never would. You know what though, not only are the car dealers cheaper, but you get more for you money.

I always check the clipper ads that come in the mail and both Toyota and GMC offer coupons for an oil change. Last time I brought my Corrolla into the Toyota dealer I got an oil change with my coupon for $24.95. Not only was it guarenteed to be ready in 30 minutes but they also gave me a free car wash and a free 31 point inspection. During their inspection they let me know a rear tail light was out which I was unaware of. They didn't even pressure me to have them fix it. Just a courtesy. They also let you know your tire tread depth, your break pad life, top off all your fluids, etc.

Well this morning I went to GMC dealer for an oil change on my Saturn since they are affiliated companies. This is my second time using my local GMC for an oil change. I had to bring the girls with me because we were having a play date at a friends house afterwards and it would have been an extra hour of driving to go back and pick the girls up. Anyway, the GMC dealer has a kids play section with toys and a TV. It was great! They also had free popcorn which the girls loved. You know they also gave me a free car wash. BTW my car was so dirty from the snow that they had to run it through twice! They also gave me a free 31 point inspection and topped off all of my fluids.

Walmart doesn't do any of that for you. Just a simple oil change for $30. The worst part is there is no waiting room with childrens toys and you pretty much just end up spending extra money shopping around killing time.

I am going to continue my oil changes and the dealers and enjoy the comfort and extra free services you get that go along with it.

No comments: