Sunday, November 16, 2008

Volunteering to feed others

My friend Cathy introduced me to a place that feeds the hungry. This place feeds anyone who walks in their doors seven days a week! You know what the greatest part is? They let them have as many servings as they want and they even serve dessert. They also offer to go bags for the people to take meals home to their families or so they will have something to eat for lunch the next day.

I got there around 3:30 and volunteered to help serve the people their meals. I thought it was pretty cool that these people got to sit at tables and have us serve them. So they could feel like they were in a restaurant environment. The first hour was very busy. Do you know one man told us he walked four miles just to come for a meal! He said it took him one and a half hours to get there!

I am glad these type of places exist. I am glad that these people have a place that they can get a dependable meal every day of the week. I am also glad that I got to help. I hope to continue helping at least one to two Sundays a month as long as hubby is willing to help the girls. I am also hoping to somehow volunteer to serve the Thanksgiving meal the day before Thanksgiving if I can find childcare for my girls.

No comments: