Monday, November 24, 2008

Visit with Grandpa

Last week I received the news that my Grandpa was in the hospital. He is 87 years old and has many medical problems including congenital heart failure, lung cancer, and pancreatic cancer. Unfortunately he was brought to the hospital for a blockage in his colon. By Friday they decided that all they were trying to do to clear the blockage wasn't working so they would have to do surgery. Given his age and current medical problems they weren't certain if he would make it through surgery but they didn't have any other options.

I was so happy that I was able to see him in the hospital that night. When I arrived he was sleeping. I decided to sit next to the bed and wait for him to wake up as I wasn't sure how much company he had and if he was tired. He woke quickly noticing my presence and was very happy to see me. In fact he told me that he was happy to open his eyes to see such a beautiful woman. It was so touching and really made me so glad that I was able to come and see him. We spent the next half hour alone talking before other family members arrived. I was glad we had that time alone. He was happy and kept leading the conversation. He told me stories from his childhood and things that he remembered. He asked about my family and said he missed my father greatly.

He was in a bit of pain with the tube they had running down his throat to his stomach. I felt bad for him. He couldn't wait to get that tube out. He looked good though and was in good spirits. He was so surprised to see my cousin Amy, Haley, my Uncle Kevin, Aunt Jane, and cousin Jeffrey and Melissa. I knew he felt loved and appreciated all of our efforts to spend time with him. The next morning he would see my Uncle Roe, Aunt Karen, cousins Stacey and Sarah, as well as my Uncle Daryl.

His surgery was successful and it turned out to be a twisted colon which they took a portion of it out. Thankfully there wasn't any cancer. He is recovering now and doing well.
My girls call these great grandparents cookie grandma and grandpa because my grandma loves to make cookies and always has a bunch of cookies for everyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for the circumstances but I'm so glad for you and for your Grandpa that you were able to be there with him. I'm sure it meant more to him than you will ever know. I know it must have felt so incredibly loved. Amy :)

Sarah Farley said...

I think seeing family made a huge difference. I am glad you got to see him. He is looking much better. We left yesterday. I was glad I got to see him and tell him I love him. It was hard. But important to do. Of course he was telling jokes and hugging nurses too. :)