Friday, June 27, 2008

Tipping


With rising gas prices it also seams like tipping jars are turning out everywhere! Gone are the days that tipping was for a service provided. A service that allowed you to sit back and have your purchases come to you. Not only should you be served but you should be served with courteous manners and a sense of appreciation for choosing to have your business with them.


Now it seams that tips are expected everywhere. You see them at malls at stores where you would buy food such as cookies, ice cream, fast food, etc. I have to ask, where is the service being provided here? I walked up to the counter and asked for my order andwas handed a cookie across the counter? What happened to the employer paying their employees salaries? Is it now going to be passed on to us so that we are bringing their wages up to an appropriate amount.


O.k., I don't drink coffee but I have never understood this one either. Why should you tip for coffee? You go up to the counter and ask for your order. You are already paying for one coffee what it would cost for 1/2 pound of coffee that would make who knows how many cups. When your coffee is ready they shout out your name. So please tell me why do people tip for coffee?


Yes, I know I am cheap but I still live in the standard of tipping for a service provided. So maybe some of you can help enlighten me. Where do we draw the line? Are we going to start having to tip for every purchase made? When we go into J.C. Penny's and ask the sales staff to help us find a skirt in a different size are we going to have to start tipping them?


What are your thoughts on tipping and where should the line be drawn? At what point should we expect to pay for the service we are getting and not have to pay additional fees? I look forward to your comments!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tipping is nothing more than a subtle form of extortion. Indeed, tipping for a service performed is one thing. But tipping for someone who is just making a sandwich for you is ridiculous.

Remember to reduce the tips when the service is substandard. The difference in the amount may not be significant, but the message is loud and clear. "Do you job well, or you will lose the business."

That's all for now... :-)

-- Bill

Anonymous said...

I believe in tipping for service. However I don't tip if I get bad service at all. you took the job knowing that tips are part of good service.If i'm being ignored they don't deserve a tip.I;m sorry but, good service. Gets you 10-15% of the bill. Even for a sandwich.but that's for resturants.Hair cuts. It depends on the service.