Thursday, June 12, 2008

Gas is killing us

Our gas bill hit an all time high of $824.22. I was shocked myself when I calculated it. This is seriously hurting us. The worst part is it is just going to keep going up and up! I REALLY WANT MY COROLLA BACK! The mechanic called yesterday and said he had been getting his van ready for a trip and hadn't been able to work on my car. He is supposed to be installing new struts to see if that will fix the problem. He said he would try and install them today. I really need that car back!

It makes you start to question at what point you would be saving money to buy a new hybrid vehicle. So I decided to do some calculations. My hubby travels 100 miles a day for his commute. His current mode of transportation is a 1995 Jeep Wrangler which gets 17 miles to the gallon. I did the math and he uses 29 gallons of gas a week. So for a month he uses 116 gallons. If you multiple that by $5 a gallon because we all know that it will probably happen in the next month or so we would be spending $580 on gas just for his commute! This doesn't factor in my gas or weekend fun trips etc. A Toyota Prius gets about 44 HWY miles to the gallon. I did the math on this one and we would use 44 gallons a month costing $220 a month in gas instead of $580 which is a savings of $360 which is close to the amount you would spend on a monthly car payment. Crazy huh!

I was able to keep my grocery bill down to $317.64. Thank goodness since gas is so ridiculous!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard somewhere that the batteries cost a fortune

Anonymous said...

That is so crazy! A car payment...that much savings is just insane! Good thing you are doing so well with your grocery shopping. Man is that ever a lot of money and just on gas. I can hardly believe it! I sure hope you can get your corolla fixed and quick! Love, Amy