Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I was totally snubbed


On Saturday night at the hotel Aly met another girl who was sitting with her grandfather during the manager's reception. At this time all the hotel guests are invited down to the courtyard for appetizers and drinks. (I have never stayed at a hotel this fancy but hey, it was free and I really enjoyed it!) Anyway, they have a nice fish pond and Aly decided to go watch the fish swim. The little girl whose name was Lexus was happy to join Aly and was quite friendly. She was Aly's age and the two of them had a great time together. Honestly I got a glimpse of life down the road when Aly will pretend like I don't exist while she is around her friends.

Anyway, we decided to go swimming and said our goodbyes. The next morning Aly was thrilled to see her at breakfast! She sat at the table and carefully colored a picture for her new friend. When she was finished she wanted to go over and give the picture to Lexus. So I decided to join her and KK wanted to come to. Aly happily gave Lexus the picture and Lexus was thrilled. She was really happy to see Aly and was very thankful for the picture. During this entire exchange Lexus's mom and her mother's friend would not look over at us, would not stop their conversation, and would not give us the time of day. They never acknowledge us, never said anything to Aly, or would even give us eye contact. I must admit I was in shock. I am such a friendly person and usually experience other people being friendly as well.

At least Aly didn't notice, or should I say she is too young to even care. Her friend acknowledged her and ultimately that is all that matters. It did make me feel sad but what can I do. I am guessing due to the fact that I am a casual person, with casual clothes, no make up, and don't get my nails done that these women must have felt embarrassed to be in my presence. I must have seemed to low to associate with. Too bad, I feel bad for Lexus that she will grow up witnessing that awful display of discrimination over class level.

4 comments:

Silicon Valley Moms Group said...

Now, now, it may not be that you were too low to talk with. It could just be that these women were a bunch of bit**es!!!! Don't blame yourself.

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad I went through 27 years of that behavior,and it was my MIL. You get use to it. They need therapy, they were never taught manners.They only think about themselves. there children usually turn out the same. only lonely people.What a shame ,and God mad us all equal.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ang, it's Anna. You know, I lived in Seattle, on the East side (where many rich microsoft, nintendo, Boeing, and sports figures live) for five years and I got this kind of stuff ALL the time. Some people are so rude! Consider yourself lucky because honestly, they probably wouldn't have anything to talk about that would be of interest. Unless you care about getting nails done, or the most expensive Coach bags or clothing and stuff. I feel very sorry for their children.

Elissa J. Hoole said...

They weren't worth talking to, that's for sure!