Monday, September 8, 2008

School fundraisers

Today we got a paper explaining Aly's first school fundraiser. Being that it is a public school the only way they can do extra things like assemblies, bus rides for field trips, and extra supplies for classroom teachers is by raising funds from the community.


In the private sector I have not been as receptive to the idea of fundraising. In the public sector I have always agreed and supported it. However, my Uncle Kevin made a great point to me a few years ago on fundraising. He felt like it was exploiting the children and putting them in possible dangerous situations when they are expected to go door to door and ask for funds. His personal preference was just to donate a sum of money at the beginning of the year and say he was done.


I have always remembered this conversation and have tended to agree with him. I would much rather just donate funds where 100% of what I am donating goes to the school. I hate those candy/wrapping paper fundraisers where the products are ridiculously priced and the school is lucky to even earn 25-50% of the profit.


Aly's school has decided to do a fun run. This is a fund raiser where she gets money donated to walk the track. It is not a per lap donation either, it is just a flat donation. So if she doesn't end up walking the money is still donated--which actually she won't even be there on that day so good news for flat donations. Anyway, this is the kind of fundraiser I feel I can support. 100% of the money goes to the school and I will not allow my daughter to make any solicitations for money.


What about you? What have your experiences been with school fundraising? What are your thoughts about it?




1 comment:

Busymama Kellie said...

I have to agree with your Uncle. I'd rather just donate a lump sum rather than be forced to jump through hoops. My daughter's preschool (yes, preschool) has a fundraiser each year where they hold a fun fair for the students. It's not open to the public and parents are asked to donate prizes for the silent auction, food for the bake sale, crafts for the craft sale, game prizes for the kids, make the games, provide the lunches, you name, we do it. It's a huge production and in the end, the same parents are the ones that end up buying it all back. Why not open it up to the public at least so that we're not running ourselves ragged and in circles when we could have written a check and be done with it!