Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Weight loss and time periods during the month for women

A month ago I started working out daily on my treadmill. My goal was twice a day with some days being as ambitious as 3 times a day. The first two weeks were difficult because I went away for a four day weekend trip and the very next weekend I went away for two days. That meant I didn't get to work out on those days.

Over the past month I have managed to loose 6 pounds! I will say, at times it was discouraging. I had one week where I was loosing half pound a day, then another week where I was gaining 1.2 pound, not loosing anything, etc. Then the next week it was back to 1/2 pound or less a day. The last week it was back to gaining, not loosing, etc.

So here is my theory:
During the two weeks where I wasn't loosing this is what happened:
The 1st week I was ovulating. I believe during that week I had water retention.
The last week I was on my period and definitely had water retention.

I am going to test this theory out this month. I have started documenting daily how many calories I burned and what my weight was each morning. If I find the same pattern then I know it is true. This is important because during those two weeks I wasn't doing really well I found myself getting discouraged. This would at least explain it and the calendar can help me to see what my body does.

When you are doing great loosing weight it motivates you to keep working hard and stay away from eating the wrong things or too much of a good thing. However, on those stagnant weeks your motivation goes down. Hopefully the calendar will show me to still keep positive and move forth because the next week will get better after my water retention is gone.

For any of you currently on a weight loss program have you found this to be true?

No comments: