Friday, March 21, 2008

Can't wait until Mega Saturday

For those of you that have been to our house you can pretty much agree that everything things to be replaced or remodeled. Well, we have lived in our house for 6 years and have only been able to afford to do a few things at a time. This years tax return has been dedicated to replacing the stove and hot water heater. Originally we were going to convert those two things over to gas but after getting quotes and finding out that it would take around 6K total to make the change we have decided to just stick with electric.

In an effort to cut our energy bill I have done research to find out what can help the most. For a range the best thing you can do if you can't afford a 2,000 dollar inductive stove top is to buy a ceramic stove top instead. The ceramic stove top has adjustable sizes to fit your pots and you won't loose heat between the drip pan and the coil. The second thing you can do is buy a true convection oven which has three heating elements and a fan. The third element is key which is located around the fan so that when the fan is working it is circulating heated air around the oven. This process allows you to cook/bake at 25 degrees lower and 20 minutes less on the hour. It is claimed that a convection oven can be 20% more efficient than a regular oven. So hopefully this will help a bit with our energy bill. Although I am sure the hot water heater will help the most. Ours is so old it has to be completely inefficient.

I can't wait until March 29th to buy my new stove! On Tuesday I went into Sears to pick out a new stove. The sale price wasn't quite what I wanted so I told the sales lady that I would just buy it online at another store since it is two hundred dollars cheaper. Well, she was kind enough to tell me that if I am willing to wait until Saturday the 29th, that I can get 15% off the price plus free delivery and haul away!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might want to read this before you buy...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/697825/

-- Bill

Anonymous said...

It's nice.

I await the day I get my own washer/dryer though. But it'll never happen.

Anonymous said...

Nice Stove!!!!! Cant wait to see it in person Angie!