Sunday, November 11, 2007

Monthly budget

This time of year is always our tightest. All of our savings runs out by November due to the lovely property tax god making his way for the second time this year. With that said, I look even more and more at my budget and look for ways to cut. Our two biggest problem areas: gas and groceries. At this point I really don't see what I can do about the $650 a month we spend on gas--which by the way will probably go up to $700 thanks to rising gas prices. My husband commutes 100 miles a day. I am as conservative as I can be and limit myself to one tank of gas a week. However, with Aly's preschool being a 20 mile commute each way there is little that I can do. I already sit home on the days she isn't in preschool.

Groceries though are an area I think I can save on. I was checking out the prices in Safeway compared to costco and I was floored they were charging 6.99 a pound for tri tip and 7.99 a pound for flank steak. We normally buy our meat at costco except for emergency runs or groceries in between costco trips. However, this has motivated me to shop at costco twice a month instead of once and visit other grocery stores like the Grocery Outlet instead of our local safeway.

I am also trying to prompt my hubby to take lunch to work more often. The only way I have found this possible is by making meat casserole type dishes that reheat well. Hubby isn't into carbs so I have to make sure they are very meaty.

I have been reading some other bloggers that write about their budgets and will be trying the make a list and don't run to the store for small trips. Use what you already have and make it last as long as possible. I will also only buy what I need for now, not what I want. Or should I say what I want for the girls because it is very rare that I ever buy what I want for myself.

No comments: