Thursday, September 27, 2007

KK's toilet training

Well today I thought I would try a new approach suggested by KK's occupational therapist. He suggested that I put a pair of underwear on her and then a diaper over the underwear. That way she feels the wetness right away and my carpet is not getting peed on. I also have to put her in a onsie. For those of you that don't know, if KK isn't in a onsie she will pull off her pants and diaper and pee or poop right on the floor. So until she is potty trained she will be wearing onsies.

Well, this morning I was able to get her to go pee on the toilet. We did the potty dance and she got 5 skittles. Later after attempting to get her to go again, she refused so I put the underwear and diaper back on. Within 5 minutes she peed in her underwear and to my surprise didn't ask me to change her and didn't try to take them off. I was shocked. She didn't seam to care and walked around in them for a good 20 minutes until I changed her on my own.

So the rest of the day I didn't put any underwear on her. While I was on the phone with my step-mom around 8 she started to try and take her onsie off. I took this as a cue and brought her to the bathroom. To my surprise she peed in the toilet. I was soo happy. This is the first time she has ever gone twice in a day. We did the potty dance and she got 5 skittles. Hopefully this will give her some motivation to go in the future!

No comments: