Sunday, May 3, 2009

3 Doctors, 6 Medicines, later

This week has been the worst week for illness in our house since I can remember! Man, poor Aly was so sick it was unbelievable! On Monday we took her to the Doctor after she had been complaining of her ear hurting and had a bad cough for the past two weeks. She was also running a fever. After seeing the doctor we were told she had bronchitis and an ear infection. We were given zythromax, an expectorant, and an antihistamine. I myself was quite sick with a sinus infection and at this point had not yet seen a doctor. When we went to the pharmacist to pick up Aly's medicine he told me we would need a dropper because the dosage was a small amount. Someone this made me confuse milliliters for teaspoons and by Wednesday I had realized that I was under dosing her. Bummer, she had only gotten 1/5 of the dose she was supposed to be getting. See, sick mommies shouldn't be in charge of giving medicine!

On Wednesday I was no better and had a hard week. I decided to drag myself to the doctor with two children. It was no fun! I brought their Leapsters with me but hadn't realized that KK's was out of battery power. So I had two bored, fighting, children. It was horrible. I made it through he doctor appointment and was confirmed that I had a sinus infection. I was given an antibiotic and flonase for my sinus'.

By Friday Aly still was not getting better. She had finally broke her fever but was still complaining of ear pain and her cough was still just as bad. Aly had now missed the whole week of school. I took her to the doctor again. This time the doctor looked in her throat and said it was all red! She decided to do a strep throat culture. Crazy enough it came back positive! I was shocked that she had strep throat on top of everything else. Her doctor said that zythromax doesn't always treat strep throat well so she changed her antibiotic to keflex. Poor Aly!

What a week. I sure hope Aly starts to feel better soon. I started feeling better on Thursday and didn't even begin taking my antibiotic. I wanted to try and get better naturally if possible. I guess that is something hubby has taught me. Minimal drugs if you can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised he let you take any drugs at all. Even the kids. You should not be running around with the kids when their sick and you too. You should be on bed rest.
mom