Sunday, January 27, 2008

Robert Ector's Funeral

Yesterday I made the three hour drive to go and attend Robert's funeral. I had my four year old daughter with me for the trip so I had to drop her off at a friends house while I attended the funeral. Not realizing it would be a problem to show up on time to the funeral, I was unable to get inside. I was soo crushed. I couldn't believe that there were not only people lined up in the hallway outside the service but also outside as well. I am guessing there were well over 500 people in attendance.

I tried so hard to lean my head sideways and listen for what was being said inside. It was useless. I couldn't hear a thing. Gradually over time I managed to inch my way forward through the crowd. This was due in part to some people leaving and also to some kind people who felt bad for such a short girl to not be able to hear or see anything. I missed our Superintendent's speech and I missed one of his student's speeches. When one of our fellow teachers got up to speak I finally was able to make my way to the back of the service and stand next to a fellow teacher. I was able to hear half of her speech. It was soo good and so positive. I really enjoyed hearing all of the stories that happened before my time as a teacher at Taylor and leading up to the time I taught there.

I really enjoyed hearing one of the speakers talk about how Robert made you feel special. About how he would make a point to talk to you and make you feel as if he were your best friend. How he would take out his cellphone and scroll down to call you. Lucky me, with my first name starting with the letter A, I was so lucky to receive phone calls from him quite frequently. He called me with all of the Taylor "gossip" and would also ask me about how life was for me. He didn't talk about himself that much though and I really wasn't aware how serious his heart problem was.

Robert talked of his son Michael often. Of how proud he was of him. Of how he had a good head on his shoulders and made good choices. He talked about how well he did in school and how smart he was. He said that Michael could do anything he wanted to. He was a proud father and loved Michael very much.

I can't believe how many people from all areas of his life were there. It was so amazing to see people from his church, teachers, co-workers, students, parents of students, family, and friends from other areas in his life.

I was fortunate enough to see students I had taught previously as well. Some of them are already sophomores and juniors in high school. I also really enjoyed seeing the teachers that I used to teach with, co-workers, and some of the parents of students I taught as well. I only wish it had been under other circumstances.

Robert was a great friend and will surely be missed. He is in my thoughts daily and I hope that his family can make it through this difficult time.

If you are interested in further comments about Robert and the service go to hiding place.

I just found an amazing video tribute to Robert as well. It is an excellent video showing is life. It was created by Pat Boyd.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela,

I read about the death of Robert Ector on your blog last week. I was shocked when I heard it. He was such a great teacher, I still remember him trying to talk to me in German with the few words he knew, when I just started 5th grade in his class. We had so much fun in his class.

When I read the report about the funeral, a chill went down my back. I believe that it was great to see that he was a special person to many people. I wish I would have been able to come.


I hope you and your family are fine. I'm enjoying my last days of school. I have my graduation in the beginning of March. This weekend is Fastnacht, the festival with the lange parades and a lot of dressing up. It will be so much fun.

Carola

Anonymous said...

Wish I could have met you at the funeral.

If you're interested, our church is planning to have a memorial service for him on the evening of Friday, Feb. 8. There should be enough seating for you there :]

www.eastvalleychurch.com

~Tia