Thursday, August 13, 2009

Subbing Day 1

Wow, I couldn't believe it myself but yes it is true, I was already called to sub on the second day of school. The teacher's daughter was extremely ill and had been running a high fever of over 104 for four days straight. The doctors did not know what was wrong with her. I am sure it was really hard on the teacher to leave her class but I agree with her decision as you should always put family first. What would any mother do? I would bet most mother's would make the same decision.

So I subbed in a kindergarten class the second day of school. The thought of it isn't too terrifying for me but when I found out there were 33 children in the class, I became very nervous! My biggest concern was keeping all 33 children together, making sure they always knew where they were supposed to be, and that they stayed with me!

I have to admit I had a little trouble sleeping! I knew parents would be unhappy to see a sub and I knew the children would be very confused. I told the parents the situation and let them know the teacher's daughter was extremely ill.

Lucky for me the teacher has a student teacher in her class this year. The student teacher whose name is Sarah, is already very good with the class. I know she will do very well in her program. She volunteered to stay with me for the morning. This was a HUGE help! I was also lucky to have a resource teacher pop in and out and help out with the class as well!

My hardest part of the day ended up being after lunch, the last hour and forty five minutes of the day. I was alone, with all the children, they were tired, and ready to go home. There is also a special needs student in the class and I had a hard time getting him to listen and follow any of my directions. One of the hardest parts of the day was when we went into the classroom from the playground and he refused to come in. In fact he climbed onto the top of the playground equipment and said he would not come into the classroom. At this point all of the other students were in the room and I was standing in the doorway. I couldn't leave the students alone and I couldn't leave him alone either. The phone is located all the way on the other side of the classroom. So after coaxing didn't work I threatened to call the office. He didn't care the first three times I said it but after I stomped my feet and pretended to walk towards the phone he finally came in! So exhausting!

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention we got a new student today putting her numbers at 34 students in one kindergarten class! Crazy if you ask me! I think the Superintendent and principal should each be left alone with the class for an hour and then tell us if they agree with the high numbers!

I found out tonight I will need to return tomorrow to sub again. The teacher did find out her daughter has rosiola but she has to take her back to the doctors for additional tests such as a chest xray to check for pneumonia. Her fever is still ranging around 102 so they want to rule out an additional bacterial infection ontop of the rosiola.

A big thanks to my mother in law for coming to watch KK today and tomorrow while I sub. I know KK has enjoyed the alone time with her and it has really made it easy for me not to worry how KK is doing. She is in great hands!

No comments: