Monday, August 24, 2009

Aly's first day in her new class

We spent the weekend talking up her new placement in her class. We wanted her to feel good about it. We focused on what a great teacher she had and how she will still get to see all of her friends at recess.

The first thing we found out in the morning is that the students would not be lining up with the other first graders. They would be lining up on the other side of the playground with the second and third graders. Aly was already looking nervous. I walked with her to the classroom and watched her find her cubbie and her desk. BTW she has a big girl desk which I told her was really cool! I think she liked that desk as well! I did take pics but I will have to post those tomorrow.

By the time I left Aly was still looking nervous and was sucking back the tears. I left feeling totally devastated just hoping that all my concerns were wrong and she would have a great day. I thought about her all day. I was happy when the time finally came to pick her up from school.

She was happy to see me and I was so glad to see her. When we got in the car I asked her all about her day. Her favorite part was that she got to have music class. I think music class is typically for second grade and up. Since Aly's class is mostly second graders they get to go. She was thrilled about this and loved it!

The next thing she told me both broke my heart and made me angry. At lunch she was supposed to be allowed to sit with the other first graders at their table. The principal told me she would tell the lunch staff. Just as I thought would happen, she didn't. I was prepared for this as I wrote a note and put it in Aly's lunch box. I told Aly if the cafeteria workers won't let you sit with the other first graders, just give them your note. Aly told me she tried to talk to them and give them her note but they wouldn't even let her talk. They snapped at her and made her sit with her new class' table. Aly was devastated. Here I told her that no matter what, with my note, she would be able to sit with the other first grade class, and they didn't let it happen. I feel so sad, like I let her down.

She also told me that she didn't play with anyone at all three recesses. She just sat on a bench because she was sad. She did say that she talked to two of her friends at lunch recess but they ran off and played. It broke my heart to know that she didn't play with her friends and sat all alone at recess.

Of course the minute we got home I called the principal. Yes, I am probably ruining all of my chances at any future employment but who the heck cares! This is about my daughter and I will put her needs before my own. I was quite shocked that they actually let me talk to the principal. I thought for sure they would put me off. They actually put me right though. I told her about the lunch incident and she apologized saying she hadn't had a chance to talk to them and she would make sure to talk to them tomorrow so it was all set. I also told her that Aly spent all three recess on the bench. You know what she said? She said, well I don't think she was in trouble. I assured her that no, Aly doesn't get in trouble at school. She said, well then she chose to do it. I said yes, she did choose to because she was sad. I told the principal it was all I could do to keep from crying because it made me sad that Aly was all alone and sad at recess.

So, tomorrow I will go to her school at lunch and make sure they let her sit with the other first grade class. Poor Aly can't be an advocate for herself so it is my job to make sure it happens! I am also hoping to see if I can watch her play at recess. I told her tonight that it would make my heart really happy if she could find some friends to play with at recess. I told her it would make her day happy too!

BTW if I have time tomorrow I want to tell you about how she is already being challenged on the first day of class. Wow, if she adjusts o.k. and stays in the class I bet she will learn a ton!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It makes me cry to see my grandchild hurt like that.
Mom T.