Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Combination classes

Wow, I have to say I am still angry over Aly's placement. I have to say I feel powerless and as if my voice as a parent of my child is neither heard nor respected. Seriously, shouldn't what the parent thinks is best for their child count for something? I know we can't let parents run the school and if you make exceptions for a few you have to make exceptions for all but you can at least try and understand where we are coming from.

It has been three days now since Aly has been in her new class. The first day was a total mess. She was sad the entire day and didn't even play with anyone at recess. Yesterday after I encouraged her to play with her friends went a bit better. Today she actually came home at snack recess sick. She also had a substitute teacher. Guess she is getting used to all kinds of change in just three days!

You know, I am not against combination classes. In fact given the right mix I think they can be a great idea. I taught three years of combination classes. I taught a 2/3, a 3/4, and even a 4/5. My favorite was the 2/3 combination. However, in all of those years of teaching the combination classes, they always had a reasonable mix of students. What I mean is, if it was a 2/3 combination class, I would have 8/12 or 9/11, or 10/10. This would allow for enough in each grade level to have some peers in class that were of the same age.

My problem with Aly's class is that they have 21 second graders and 4 first graders. Two of the first graders they placed in their are the older first graders that actually age wise could be in second grade. One of the boys turned 7 in July and the other one turns 7 in October I believe. Aly on the other hand is on the younger side and just turned 6 in June. She is the youngest person in the class by a huge margin!

Some people may say that age doesn't matter but I would have to say that in some cases it does. Aly's is the tiniest little thing in that class. Plus, they are doing activities that foster competition among the grade levels. So is Aly going to think she is not very smart anymore because everyone else in the class knows more than her? Will this crush her academic confidence? They are already playing addition fact games with the whole class. Aly doesn't like it because she doesn't have any of her math facts memorized. This is making her insecure. Of course I am now working on it at home but it will still take time to learn. Can she understand that she shouldn't feel she needs to know as much as the second graders?

If she was in a straight first grade classroom she wouldn't even have to start memorizing her math facts until the second half of first grade. If they did play Around The World it would be with her peers who are much closer in level with her. This would not crush her confidence.

When I taught fourth and fifth grades do you know how many students would come to me thinking they were stupid? They would measure themselves next to their peers and their own academic beliefs in themselves would continue to lower. Is this what would happen to Aly being in a combination class with 83% of the students being second graders? Will she think she needs to measure up to them?

If she was in a combination class with more first graders I don't think it would be as much of an issue. She would be able to see students higher than her, at her level, and lower than her. Now she is seeing the majority of the class higher than her.

Seriously, how many parents would like this situation? Would the principal put her own child in this class? Would other teachers want their child in this type of combination class? What are your thoughts? Am I over reacting? Voice your opinion whether you agree with me or not. It is good to hear all sides!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know my opinion..if they don't listen,get her out to another school. your right they are going to crush her confidence in herself. she will become more frustrated trying to keep up to the 2nd graders,she's only 6.

Purva Brown said...

I know I sound like I'm on my high horse right now, but I think the way schools refuse to take the parents into consideration is just unacceptable. Lately it seems like everyone but the parent wants to take responsibility for the child.

If you have some time and inclination you should read John Taylor Gatto. He was a teacher himself and some of the things he says are quite eye-opening.

Good luck with this issue. I hope it gets resolved for you.