Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Pics and more




Here is Aly on her new first day of school...we pretended to just start the year all over again!
Here she is at her new desk. She was thrilled to have a real desk!
Well Aly's second day of school went much better. I did show up at lunch and make sure that she was able to sit with her first grade friends. I am sure I made my self look bad and can count any future employment opportunities gone but I will always put my child first! I think I have learned, if I was already employed at the school and my kids came later it wouldn't be as much of a conflict of interest but now that my child is there first and I am known as a parent, my actions defending my daughter's needs has probably made me look bad. Oh well, there are other schools in the area.
I am glad though that I went at lunch. While the cafeteria workers knew it was o.k., the other first graders didn't and they all began telling Aly and the other three first graders from her class that they couldn't sit at their table. Aly was sad but I let them know that it was o.k.
Aly has already been challenged as well. In kindergarten she only had to write to the number 20. Well yesterday she wrote to the number 50! I think it was her first time ever writing that high. They also played a game called Around The World which Aly isn't quite ready for. The game is to help the kids with their math facts. Since the majority of the class is second graders this is really important for them. However, I don't want Aly to feel down that she doesn't have her math facts memorized so last night we made flash cards for her addition facts 0-2. Once she has those memorized we will add 3's, then 4's, and so on. Hopefully this will help her to feel more confident when they play this game.
Aly reported that she had a great day at school today. Her favorite thing was P.E. and that she got to play with Nathan all three recesses! She says she likes her knew teacher. So I will hope for the best. I am really glad the lunch thing worked out because I think that will help a lot!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad that is taken care of. glad she had a good day. I really felt bad for her . I knew just how she felt.
Grandma T.