Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Nosy Neighbor--How much can I take????

Six years ago we moved from the Bay Area up here to the middle of nowhere on purpose. Yes, we wanted some isolation and some privacy. We bought a house on two acres in an area where most of the houses have from 2-7 acres. We can not see another house from our house, that is how private it is.

Shortly after moving in we met a few of the neighbors. They all seemed nice and most of them wanted their privacy as well. After 6 months or so of living here the nosy neighbor told us that he noticed we had done a lot with the place--put in sheet rock, had a refrigerator delivered, new furniture, etc.... I have to admit I was a little irritated that someone who lives two houses down--about 4 acres away would know so much about our house when he can't even see it from his own.

Things have only gotten worse. Everyday he drives by our house and will just park out in front of it and stare at us. One time I ran out and asked him if he wanted something. He was embarrassed and said no while quickly driving away. For the few months that followed he didn't park in front of our house again.

Well he has been back at it and now whenever I have company he sits out there and writes the car license plate down? Who does that? What the heck? I was appalled the first time I realized it. He continues to do it and is now freaking out my friends.

I brought it up with hubby and he seems to think it is no big deal. His point of view is at least someone on the road would know if something every happened to us.

What do you think? Would you put up with it? Would it make you feel good to know that a neighbor knows so much about you? Comment and tell me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that is pretty annoying that a neighbor would do that. I would feel like he was invading my privacy. And it's just strange. I know that guys probably would see it differently but I would be very uncomfortable with it because I just wouldn't want some man sitting outside my house watching what was going on. He needs to mind his own business and go back to his house. That's just one opinion from Anna.

judy in ky said...

It would bug me, too. I would ask the other neighbors if they know anything about him, and do any other research I could to find out whatever I could about him. Does he live alone? Maybe he is just curious or lonely, but it would annoy me as well.

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela,

You might want to check the website:
ww.familywatchdog.com

Take care.
Aunt Linda

† Tasha said...

Hey, thanks for visiting today! I'll share my opinion about the creepy neighbor.... THAT'S CREEPY. Seriously... Its beyond annoying or pestering... its really creepy. He obviously has some sort of mental issues.... The fact that you have young children running around the yard worries me... I would look into doing something about him. Have your husband say something to him. That is not normal behavior at all... Sorry to ramble but geezzzz I don't know you or anything, but that really worries me for you...

Tasha @ Comical Coupon Cents