Monday, July 13, 2009

Baking my own sandwich rolls

Wow, it only took me three tries but I finally got it right! I have never made my own bread before so I needed to experience a learning curve. The first try my yeast was bad. The second try I didn't let it rise enough, but by the third try I had it right!

Here is try number three. I made whole wheat sandwich rolls and brushed them with garlic olive oil and added italian herbs. Check out my sandwich. It was so good!

I made them again today and used some flour I bought from costco. It says it is unbleached flour with whole grains and has all the same nutritional value as whole wheat. They were so yummy! Now I need some company to come over and try out my sandwich rolls! Here is the recipe I am using if you want to give it a try:
2 1/2 teaspoons dry instant yeast
1 1/3 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey, molasses, or maple syrup
3 1/2 cups whole wheat bread flour (more if needed)
1/4 cup nonfat dried milk
1 1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Place all ingredients in the container of your bread machine, or into the bowl of a heavy duty mix master. For bread machine follow the instructions for making dough. For mix master, mix with a spoon until dough comes away from the sides of the bowl. Now using the dough hooks knead dough for 6 to 8 minutes or until it becomes smooth and supple. Place dough into a lightly greased bowl, cover and place in a warm place rises and becomes puffy about 60 minutes. Dough may not double in size this is ok. Transfer dough to a lightly oiled surface and shape into a log about 8 1/2 inches long. Place log into a bread pan, cover loosely with lightly greased plastic wrap and allow bread to rise for 1 hour or until crowned about 1 inch above edge of pan. Bake bread in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes, or it sounds hollow when thumped on bottom of loaf.

I actually didn't have any dried milk so I made the recipe without it. Since I was doing sandwich rolls instead of bread I divided the mixture into six balls and stretched out the dough to form the rolls. I then brushed them with olive oil and added italian herbs. I baked them at 375 degrees for twenty minutes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try it! I will as soon as I go to the store. :) Sounds so yummy! Thanks for posting the recipe. They look delicious! Amy

Purva Brown said...

Yay!!! Great job! You're making me want to bake again.