Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Spending time with Grandma

Back in October my Grandma that lives in Sunnyvale began having trouble with her eyes. Unfortunately it was Macular Degeneration and they didn't operate in time. She has lost a significant amount of vision and can't drive anymore. Now my Grandma is one of the most independent women I have ever known. She is 86 years old and has always done everything herself. She has also been very helpful to the community, her church, and her friends. She has driven many of her friends around that could no longer drive as well as driving friends to chemo appointments and waiting in the lounge for them to finish. She has been an amazing role model to me and it is my turn to help her.

While my goal is to try and drive to Sunnyvale once a month I have to realize that is not always possible. I was able to make it in November and December but January threw other challenges my way due to all of the illnesses in my house. So now that everyone is better I was able to make it on Saturday to see my Grandma and take her on some errands. This time hubby decided he wanted me to leave the kids with him. I left Saturday at 7 a.m. and didn't return home until Sunday after lunch. I think the separation ended up being hardest on me. The girls had a great time with Daddy and he spoiled them rotten! He was definitely fun Dad taking them to the zoo, buying them slurpies and dipping dots as well as a stuffed animal.

Grandma and I had a great time too! We went to Kohls and found some rugs Grandma had been wanting. We also went to the mall and found some shoes she needed. As much as I wasn't there to spend money I couldn't resist the sale and I bought Alyssa a pair of Lands End snowboats for next year for $12, a Lands End jacket for me and a pair of Lands end pants for me as well. Sears was having a sale where you could take an additional 50% off clearance prices on Lands End merchandise so it was a great deal. Grandma and I also got to go out to dinner at our faovrite place to eat, The Ginger Cafe. It was delicous!

1 comment:

Momma to LG said...

I can't believe we didn't get to see each other!!! Ginger Cafe is about .5 miles from our house. UGH!!!