Thursday, February 26, 2009

And "The Talk" begins...

Aly has started to become quite curious lately. It first began with wondering what boys parts look like. It took me a few weeks to figure out how to solve that one but I finally decided to give her an opportunity to see a baby boys diaper being changed. Of course it back fired slightly because after seeing the baby boys part she went into her friends room and told him she saw his brothers' penis. This of course was hilarious to her friend and the other boy in the room so all three of them preceded to pull down their pants and show each other their boy and girl parts. So see, they will educate each other without our intervention! Good thing they were all 4 and 5 year olds and it is still very innocent!

Since then she has began asking how Mommies have babies. Of course I started out with the simple, "The baby is in Mommy's belly and when it is ready to come out it does." This satisfied her for awhile but then she began to get more curious. She asked how it got there? So I told her, "Mommy's have eggs just like chickens and the eggs grow into babies inside Mommy's body." She took that in and was satisfied for awhile. Well today she wanted to know what Mommy's egg looks like and wanted to look through a book she knew we had called, "From Conception to Birth." So I sat down with her and flipped through the pages.

She saw pictures of women and men. She saw naked babies. She also got to see the Mommy's egg and the sperm. She asked what the sperm was and what it was doing? So I told her the sperm are just like little fishies and they all want to get inside the egg but only one can get in. She thought those little fishies were cool! Lucky for me she didn't ask where the fishies came from or how they got there! She did ask though why a Mommy can't choose if she is having a boy or girl? I told her that the sperm are boy fishies or girl fishies and it depends which one gets to go into the egg. She was quite happy with that response and continued looking through the book. She was happy with the talk we had and for now we don't have to answer any more questions. I guess this gives me time to figure out how I am going to answer how the sperm get into the Mommy!

1 comment:

Sarah Farley said...

I think you handled it well! Good job!