Saturday, June 12, 2010

Homemade Hooter Hiders

Since having Aly and KK new products continuely come on the market. In the past two years, a mom designed a nursing cover up and called it Hooter Hiders! These retail for around $35. I was in shock that a piece of fabric with a strap would cost so much money! So of course I did some research for a free sewing pattern. There are so many sites out there with easy to follow patterns!

I have so much fabric in bins that I have bought in the past so it was easy to find something I already had. The only thing I was missing was two small D rings. A pack cost just .78 for four at walmart! I made the nursing cover quite easily. The first one I did, I only made one sided as they suggested. I also didn't add the boning for a peek a boo sight for the mommy to see the nursing baby. I wasn't sure if it was something I would want. Here is Aly modeling the nursing cover for me!



Aly thinks it is funny that I made a Hooter Hider! She was laughing so hard when she learned what it was for!

I decided to make a second one. After reading some reviews on the internet some women said they liked to make it with a soft flannel backing so if you needed to use it has a burp blanket in public when you were done, you had something right on hand! I took their advice and made this one with a soft, dark pink flannel on the back. I did buy new fabric for this one which cost me a totaly of $7 for both the front piece and the back. I also bought some coordinating ribbon to use as the neck strap. I did decide to sew the boning in on this one to see if it is something I will like. So now I have two to try out. After I use them both I will decide which type I will sew more of for the future!



Aly makes such a good model doesn't she? I should have had her sit with one of her baby dolls and pretend she was nursing!

No comments: