Saturday, June 12, 2010

Confusion

So far my pregnancy has been very healthy with my only problem being a small sub chorionic bleed in the first trimester that heeled itself. Sure I had tons of morning sickness and really bad heartburn, but the baby has been very healthy. Thank goodness for that.

Yesterday I had the weirdest thing happen to me. Around 3 in the afternoon I was washing dishes. Any short, 9 month pregnant lady knows not only how difficult this can be, but how awkward it is. You have to crunch your shoulders forward, stick your butt out, and protect your stomach from hitting the sink. It gives you a back ache, and you really can't do it for long periods of time.

Anyway, while I was washing the dishes, I started having a problem with my right eye. I started seeing bright, white flashes that wouldn't go away. It got worse to the point I couldn't focus and see anything out the right side. My vision was completely blurred and I couldn't read a thing. I have never had this happen before so I thought it was quite strange. I called up my husband at work just to let him know. Then I told my 7 year old to keep an eye on money and to call 911 if something happened.

Hubby gave me some good advice and told me to sit down and do some various stretches. It had been 20 minutes since all this happened. I sat down and did quite a bit of stretching. It felt good too! The good news. The stretching took the problem away!

I thought all was well but I was wrong. My friend Krsiti came to pick up her son Nick who was over for a play date. I was so embarrassed, as I tried to talk to her I couldn't even speak a complete sentence. I forgot the words I needed to say, I would repeat the same word three times while trying to figure out what I was trying to say. I forgot her name, her sons name, I forgot my Dr.'s name. Etc., etc. She urged me let her drive me to the hospital. Of course I didn't want to go. I called Ed and tried to have a conversation with him on the phone. We decided to call my OBGYN to see if they wanted me to be seen. They told me to come in right away. I think they were worried about preaclampsia.

Thankfully for Kristi, she drove the girls and I to the hospital. I wouldn't have been able to handle that drive. I still couldn't speak or think correctly. When we got to the hospital we went straight to OB. They hooked me up and checked all my stats. The baby was doing great! Her heartbeat was normal. I was having some braxtin hicks every 5-10 minutes so unfortunately for me they had to check my cervix to make sure I wasn't going to go into labor. I only had 12 days left you know! Dang that hurts! My cervix was closed so labor was not near. My blood pressure was a little higher than normal, but not anything that is a problem. Typically I am super low around 100 over 60. Yesterday I was 127 over 79. Not a danger for preaclampsia.

After all my OB signs checked out o.k. they felt like it was a neurological problem. They wanted to transfer me over to ER. I was feeling fine by this time and really didn't want to go. After all, my copay is $100 plus I have to pay 20% of the visit which we all know in the ER is way over priced. This baby is already costing us $2500 to have! However, they felt it was really important for the health of me and the baby in case it could be a blood clot or small stroke to be seen.

The ER ordered blood tests and a CT scan. The CT scan actually gave me a small headache. Well it was probably the fact that they didn't help me up and down from the table! After siting in ER for a couple of hours with hubby and kids, we found that the CT scan came back fine. Thank goodness! I only had two small issues. One is that my right side pupil is tear drop shaped--not sure why this matters and I don't think the Dr. really knew if it was a problem either. He wants me to see an eye Dr. next week so they can decide. The second very small problem was that my potassium level was slightly low. No big deal, I can eat some bananas! They gave me some potassium supplements!

They decided to call my condition a complicated migraine. Seemed weird to me since I didn't even have a headache. O.k., whatever, just let me go home! I felt fine and we all just wanted to go to bed! I did come home and look up the term and I just don't see how it could fit! Oh well, all is well now, so I shouldn't need to worry!

We have 11 days to go before baby Summer is born! Do you know what my OBGYN Dr. said to me yesterday at my appt.? The baby is pretty long and I am measuring a week ahead so he said, "Do you think you could be wrong and it could be a boy?" I laughed and said, "Your ultrasound tech told me 7 years ago she had only been wrong once in 20 years." He said, "Yeah, she is really good but she has actually been wrong 4 or 5 times now." I laughed. Of course hubby and I would be more than happy to welcome a boy into our family but anyone that knows me, would know that would put a ton of stress on me not being prepared! I would probably have an anxiety attack right there in the hospital since I have no clothes for a baby boy! I would probably be freaking out sending Ed out shopping for some emergency baby clothes. Oh what a sight that would be!

No comments: