Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Chances Are....

Last night we had our 16 week ultrasound. We paid for a private ultrasound so that we could try and see if we are having a boy or girl. I just didn't have the patience to wait until 21 weeks along! I was assured on the phone that they would be able to tell me the sex of my baby even though I was only 16 weeks along. Apparently the owner has been doing ultrasounds for years and was really good at it! Besides, they said if they couldn't tell I could have a rescan free!

We arrived at our appointment all excited but knowing in the back of our mind that we just may not find out what it is. Our ultrasound tech informed us almost immediately that she has only been doing it for 2-3 months and trying to find out when I am only 16 weeks might be hard for her. Oh great, such a different story then I was told on the phone. Where is the owner? If it is hard for someone new to see at 16 weeks why wasn't I scheduled with the owner?

Anyway, the lady was really nice and did try really hard. She just lacked confidence and didn't make us feel like she knew much of what she was doing. The baby did have its legs crossed pretty much the whole time. The tech spent about a half and hour trying over and over again to get a good shot. I think their equipment was not that great or she had the settings wrong. It was very dark and hard to see anything.

So the tech said she wasn't sure but was going to guess that it was a girl. We weren't entirely convinced especially since it was very hard to see anything. We were given a CD of the images and a few print outs and sent home. The print outs were very dark as well and you couldn't see a thing. Today I decided to import the images onto Adobe Photoshop, lighten them, and zoom in. Based on these images I am guessing it looks like we are having a girl. The only way I would say it could be wrong is if her angle was off at she had more of a tailbone type angle. They didn't look exactly straight on. So, I am going to post the three pics I edited and then at the end I am going to post a picture I found on the Internet of a boy at 16 week ultrasound. I would then love for all of you to comment and give me your opinion. We aren't going to buy anything yet or say we are 100% confident. We have an ultrasound at our Dr. office that will be scheduled around 21 weeks and that tech has been doing it over 20 years and is really good at what she does. So we will wait till then to be positive on the gender.


The arrows are pointing at the genitals.


I think that long line you see is the umbilical cord and the arrow is pointing at the genitals.

Here is a boy shot I got from the Internet.
So please let me know what your thoughts are!

2 comments:

Purva Brown said...

Hey Angela,

In the first shot, it looks like a girl but it's so hard to tell. In the third one it looks like a boy. So it could go either way... my two cents!

Purva.

Anonymous said...

I would wait until you see an experienced tech. Sometimes it takes awhile for certain body parts to develop correctly (which is why the dpoctor usually makes yo wait), so people can easily mistake a boy for a girl and vice versa.

I want the baby too be... 100% healthy! :)