Monday, May 11, 2015

Coloma 4th grade trip

 Kayla had a 3 day sleep away camp for her 4th grade class at Coloma.  She had major reservations all year about going because of the over night portion.  The night before the trip she wanted to cancel  I asked her teacher if she could try camp for the day and if she still wanted to come home, could I come and pick her up?  She said that would work so Kayla agreed to go.

 Here is the morning of the trip before the class left.  Poor Kayla was sad and already nervous to go.










Once she got there she had a good time gold panning.
 The camp fire was great too!
 Here she is celebrating because she spent the night!
Another Mom is giving her a congratulations hug!!
















The truth is, she actually did want to go home at night.  In fact, she asked her teacher twice.  Her teacher told her to lay in bed and give it a try.  When the teacher came back to check on her, Kayla said her heart was racing and she still wanted to go home but her teacher said no, your not going home, you will stay all 3 days, going home is not an option.  You will not tell your parents that I made you stay, you will tell them that you chose to stay on your own.  Do not tell them I told you that you can't go home.

Personally I was not very happy to hear that happened.  In my opinion, it broke Kayla's trust.  I assured her had I gotten a phone call I would have gotten her..especially considering it is only a half an hour from our house. What right does a teacher have to make that decision and on top of it to tell a child not to tell her parents the truth?

No comments: